Representatives from the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) attended the 5-2-23 Town Commission meeting to provide updates and answer questions about the SR-A1A Resurfacing, Restoration and Rehabilitation (RRR) Project. Below are some key takeaways from their presentation and Q&A:
- FDOT is considering extensive traffic control methods, such as placing message boards notifying drivers of construction and recommending that they seek an alternate route at the following intersections: Linton Blvd./Federal Hwy., Linton Blvd./SR-A1A, Spanish River Blvd./Federal Hwy., Spanish River Blvd./SR-A1A
- FDOT will re-evaluate the potential addition of intermittent bike lane separation devices.
- The current project plans will be uploaded to the Town's website and will be available for viewing in Town Hall upon request. The most up to date plans will continue to be provided as they become available.
- There will be an extension to the Linton Blvd./SR-A1A intersection westbound turn lane.
- East side flooding will be mitigated by regrading the road more effectively towards the swales and adding infiltration rock and French drains in targeted areas.
- Five-foot bike lanes will be consistent through northern and southern borders into Town.
- A safety evaluation was performed at beginning of the project design, and it was determined that bike lanes should be enhanced.
- There will be minimal lane closures when work is only being performed on swales.
- Temporary pedestrian walkways will be installed where sidewalks are being raised.
- No existing turn lanes are being removed.
- Out of the 678 trees that were evaluated, only seven will be removed and 23 relocated.
- The 15-month timeline is based on 40-hour work week and may be accelerated by the Town and contractor allowing night and weekend work.
- The construction equipment staging area will be determined by the awarded contractor at a later stage of the project.
Please click here to view a recording of the meeting and here to download a copy of FDOT's SR-A1A RRR Project slideshow for a detailed breakdown of the project.