• Welcome, to the new Highlandbeach.us!

  • Welcome, to the new Highlandbeach.us!

Frequently Asked Questions

Building F.A.Q
Where do I file the Contractors Registration Application?

Applications for Contractors Registration may be submitted to the building department by mail or in person.

Where do I file for a permit for the Town of Highland Beach?

Application for permits may be submitted by mail or in person 8:30 am to 4:30 pm at the Office located at 3616 South Ocean Blvd., (561) 278-4540.

Where can I get an inspection result?

Inspection results are not available online. You may call the Building Department at (561) 278-4540.

As a Contractor, what do I need to perform work in Highland Beach?

Contractors are required to have a Certificate of Competency (License) for the type of work they will be performing. The Town registers each contractor.

Do I need a Building Permit?

Any owner, authorized agent, or contractor who desires to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy or occupant content of a building or structure, or any outside area being used as part of the building’s designated occupancy (single or mixed) or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the technical codes, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit for the work.

Building Permit Application
Do You Need a Building Permit

Code RED F.A.Q
Why does my phone ring once and hang up?

It has called me twice and won’t let me answer it. If they have a ring back tone, which plays a song instead of ringing, the system will interpret this as an Operator Intercept and hang up, only to retry the number. They have two options. They can remove the ring back tone or they can contact their cell phone provider and request that the phone number 866-419-5000 for CodeRED bypassed by this feature.

Why did it leave only part of the message on my answering machine?

CodeRED will leave a message on an answering device. There are many different brands and types of capturing devices for leaving a message. Occasionally something about the answering device or the beep of the device causes the system to think it has reached a live person and begins playing the message. When the message is left, it only leaves part of the message. You may call back the number you see on your Caller ID back (866-419-5000) and receive the entire message. This does not happen often.

Why did I get a call, but no message played?

If they answer and do not say hello, CodeRED will not begin playing automatically. It is trying to determine if is has reached a live person or answering device. If they do not say anything, it will hang up and retry the number in the next pass of the non connected numbers.

Why did CodeRED call me several times?

If there is no answer and they do not have an answering device, the number will be attempted up to 3 times.

What is CodeRED used for?

CodeRED will be used for significant incidents and events where the timely notification of an affected population or geographic area is essential.

Will the system work with cell phones?

Yes. But, your cell phone number needs to be associated with your Town of Highland Beach address. We encourage you to register your cell phone number.

What should I do if I don’t receive a message?

Your area of the community may not be affected. In which case, you won’t receive a call even if it’s only a block away.

What should I do if I don’t receive a message?

Your area of the community may not be affected. In which case, you won’t receive a call even if it’s only a block away.

What should I do if I receive a CodeRED message?

* Listen Carefully
* Follow Instructions
* Don’t hang up until you hear the whole message (The message will not be repeated)
* DO NOT call 9-1-1 unless instructed to do so (You will only tie up emergency lines)

How does it work?

CodeRED delivers the important message through a high-speed telephone calling system to a phone number on the CodeRED database. Town staff will access CodeRED via a secure portal on the web. A “call area” will be marked identifying street addresses. Telephone numbers will be matched up electronically to these addresses through the use of Geographical Information Systems (GIS). A pre-recorded message will be sent out via the telephone with information about the incident and possibly instructions for action to be taken.

How will I benefit from this service?

This high-speed telephone system will allow the Town of Highland Beach to contact participants to provide information about a critical situation, what action needs to be taken, and notification that the situation has been resolved.

How Do I Register

The following information is required to add a telephone number into the “CodeRED” database: first and last name; address (physical address, no P.O. boxes); city; state; zip code; and primary phone number. A primary phone number is most likely the identified home phone number. An alternate phone number, such as a mobile phone, can also be entered and both the primary and alternate line will be contacted in the event of an emergency. The system works with cellular phones but requires a Town of Highland Beach street address. When entering information, please fill out all of the screens because the newest data entered will replace the old data; this would include the notifications you’d like to receive as well. So, if you’d like to change the weather warnings you are signed up for, you simply resubmit your information through the Community Notification Enrollment page.
For those who are hearing impaired the sign up form offers a TDD ONLY option for tone delivery of emergency messages. Messages delivered to phone numbers marked TDD will only be delivered in a TDD/TTY format. Residents without Internet access may contact Town Hall at 561-278-4548.
Examples of times when the CodeRED system could be utilized: drinking water contamination, utility outage, evacuation notice, missing person, fires or floods, bomb threat, hostage situation, chemical spill or gas leak, and other emergency incidents where rapid and accurate notification is essential for life safety.

What is CodeRED?

The CodeRED Emergency Notification System is a fast communication service allowing the Town of Highland Beach to notify citizens of an emergency situation. It enables the city to provide mass notification quickly and easily. This service is free to all residents and businesses located within our incorporated limits.

Finance Dept. F.A.Q
What is the Town of Highland Beach’s Tax Identification Number?

The Town’s Tax Identification Number is 59-095-1822.

Where may I obtain a hard copy of a Fiscal Year Budget?

A copy may be obtained through the Town Clerk’s Office for a small copying fee.

Town Clerk Information:
Valerie Oakes

Library F.A.Q
Do you have headphones or flash drives?

The library has headphones available for purchase for $2.00 each and USB flash drives available for purchase for $10.00 each.

How do I keep up-to-date with library activities?

Information about our programs and events is available on the library website, in the monthly library newsletter, on the bulletin boards inside the library and on the entrance walkway, and on Highland Beach TV Channel 99.

Do you have Wi-Fi?

Wireless access to the internet is available to Highland Beach Library cardholders. Present your library card at the front desk to receive access.

Do you have computers?

The library has nine computer workstations for use by Highland Beach Library cardholders. Present your library card at the front desk to receive computer time.

Minors must have parental approval to use the adult computers. Children’s computers do not have internet access.

How do I download e-Books and digital magazines to my tablet or smartphone?

Visit the following link for instructions. If you need additional assistance, call the library at 561-278-5455 to make an appointment.

e-Books & Magazines

How do I request materials?

Complete a yellow reserve slip (located by the new books) and give it to the front desk. The library cannot guarantee that requested items will be purchased.

How do I renew items?

Books may be renewed online or in person if the item is not overdue or on reserve for another patron. DVDs must be renewed at the library.

Can I reserve items from home?

Patrons may reserve items from home using the online catalog search system, with their library card number.

What happens if I lose or damage an item?

Materials must be returned in good condition. Patrons are responsible for the replacement cost of lost or damaged items.

What are the fines if I’m late returning items?

* Books and magazines: $.25 per day per item
* DVDs and CDs: $1.00 per day per item
* e-readers: $3.00 per day per item

Only cash or check accepted.

How long can I keep library materials?

* New books: 7 or 14 days
* Books: 21 days
* Books on CD/MP3: 21 days
* eReaders: 14 days
* DVDs: 3 days
* Music CDs: 7 days
* Magazines: 7 days
* Children’s Books and CDs: 21 days
* Children’s DVDs: 7 days

How many items can I take out?

* New books: 2
* Books: 7
* Books on CD/MP3: 2
* eReaders: 1
* DVDs: 3
* Music CDs: 3
* Magazines: 5
* Children’s Books and CDs: 6 per family
* Children’s DVDs: 3 per family

How do I get a library card?

Library card applications can be completed in person at the library. Photo identification and proof of current address are required. Renters must provide a copy of their lease agreement.

Library cards are free to Highland Beach property owners and those renting for more than 6 months. Those renting in Highland Beach for 3 – 6 months may purchase a temporary card for $25.00. Non-residents may purchase a card for $75.00 per year. Replacement cards cost $5.00. Only cash or check accepted.

Children ages 16 and younger who reside in Florida may have a free library card. Adult material may not be checked out using these cards.

Police Dept. F.A.Q
How can I get fingerprinted?

Fingerprints are done at the front desk Mon-Fri, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm (best to call in advance for availability, (561) 266-5800). Fingerprinting is free to Highland Beach residents and $15 per card for non-residents. You must provide the cards.

How do I obtain a police report?

Police reports can be obtained at the front desk Monday-Friday (excluding holidays), from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm. There is a charge off 15 cents per page for non-residents.

Where is your department located?

Our police station is at:
3614 S. Ocean Blvd.
Highland Beach, Florida, 33487
You can call us at (561) 266-5800.

Should I dial 9-1-1 if I have a non-emergency situation?

No. Please call Highland Beach’s non-emergency number at (561) 266-5800.
Never tell the Communications Officer that a situation is more serious than it really is. It is against the law to intentionally and knowingly give false information to the police or emergency services. Abuse of 9-1-1 may delay someone else’s access to emergency assistance.

If I accidentally call 9-1-1, what should I do?

Stay on the phone and let the Communications Officer know that it was a mistake. Also remember to place your cell phone on “Lock or Keylock” mode so that it does not dial 911.

Sea Turtle Program F.A.Q
Where should I report injured or Dead Sea Turtles to?

Please report injured or dead sea turtles by noting the exact location on beach, by street number or by the name of the property owner/condo to:

Gumbo Limbo Nature Center – (561) 338-1587

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC)/Marine Research Institute – (561) 575-5407

FWC Law Enforcement – (888) 404-FWCC

Barbara James, Highland Beach Permit Holder – (561) 272-6496

If you encounter an injured or dead sea turtle, please report it to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) Marine Research Institute at (561) 575-5407, or to the FWC Law Enforcement at (888) 404-FWCC.

For more information about how to contact the FWC about sea turtles or other animals, please visit the FWC website.

Additional information about how to help injured or dead sea turtles is available by viewing the following document:

Found an Injured or dead Sea Turtle

Are there sources of light that I may use during sea turtle nesting season?

There are a number of products on the market that are low-level, amber lighting that may be used as an alternative to traditional white lighting. These products are available at area home improvement stores. All beach-side property owners are encouraged to either turn out their lights, or install replacement low-level, amber lighting during turtle nesting season. The public’s cooperation is strongly encouraged.

As a resident on the beach side, how does the Town ordinance affect me?

The key to complying with the Town ordinance is that during this eight month period (March 1st through October 31st), from dusk to dawn, all external light sources (such as pool, deck, patio or security lighting) must not be visible from the beach, or may not illuminate directly or indirectly areas seaward of the crest of the sand dune vegetation.

When is sea turtle nesting season?

Sea turtle nesting season begins March 1st of each year and lasts until October 31st. (Ordinance # 554)

Town F.A.Q
What is the best way for me to contact the Mayor or one of the Commissioners?

The best way to contact the Mayor, Vice-Mayor or Commissioners, is to call Town Hall directly at (561) 278-4548 and someone will be happy to give you the appropriate direct telephone number.

Waste Management F.A.Q
How may I obtain new garbage containers and recycling bins?

For single family residents, garbage containers and recycling bins that are broken or that are no longer in your possession may be obtained through Town Hall. You may contact the Finance Department at (561) 278-4548.

How should my yard waste be prepared?

All small loose vegetative materials such as grass, leaves, hedge cuttings, pine needles, palm seeds, etc. must be containerized in bags or cans for collection. All material must be cut to less than 6 feet in length and be less than 50 pounds per item. Do not mix any non-vegetative waste with yard waste.

When is Yard Waste Collection?

For single-family residences, yard waste collection will be provided on Monday only between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm.
For multi-family residences (condominiums), there is not a yard waste collection service included in your service. However, a special once a year collection of real Christmas trees will be provided on the first Monday following January 1st. Collection will occur between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm.

Who is responsible for Garbage Complaints?

The Finance Department is responsible for handling garbage complaints. They may be reached by phone at (561) 278-4548.

When is Recycling Collection?

For single family residences, recycling collection occurs Monday only between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm. Items must be ready by 7:00 am.
For multi-family residences (Condominiums), recycling collection occurs Monday and Thursday 8:00 am until 3:00 pm.

When is Garbage Collection?

For single family residences, garbage collection occurs Monday and Thursday between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm. Items must be ready by 7:00 am.
For multi-family residences (condominiums), garbage collection occurs Monday and Thursday 8:00 am until 3:00 pm. There is a Saturday collection day added for season months which are from November 16 through May 14. Collection time for this Saturday pick-up will occur from 8:00 am until 12:00 pm.