In accordance with Executive Order 20-246 issued by the Governor on September 30, 2020, related to conducting local government public meetings, effective November 1, 2020, the Town of Highland Beach will resume its in-person Town Commission, and Advisory Board and Committee meetings. The public meetings will be held in the Commission Chambers at Town Hall, located at 3614 South Ocean Boulevard, Highland Beach, FL.
In order to balance the need for the Town of Highland Beach to function and conduct business during the COVID-19 pandemic, we will adhere to the recommended social/physical distancing (staying at least six feet away from each other) guidelines, per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Palm Beach County’s directives. There will be limited seating available in the Commission Chambers. Therefore, preregistration will be required for in-person participation as well as to join the meeting via the Zoom Video Communications, a communications media technology platform.
As an added layer of protection for the safety of those in attendance in the Commission Chambers, clear panel Plexiglas has been installed between each seating space on the dais. Additionally, upon entrance into the Commission Chambers, facial coverings and temperature checks will be required.
The instructions for preregistration attendance/participation and viewing of the meeting are outlined below:
PREREGISTRATION FOR IN-PERSON ATTENDANCE/PARTICIPATION AT ALL MEETINGS:
•All interested persons, Quasi-Judicial meeting applicants, their representatives, and witnesses must preregister to attend/participate in a meeting by sending an email to Town Clerk Lanelda Gaskins at email@example.com or contacting (561) 278-4548 no later than one (1) business day prior to the meeting date (e.g. by 4:30 P.M. on a Monday, if the meeting is scheduled for that Tuesday, etc.) The subject matter to be discussed must be included in the preregistration request. If the meeting is a Public Hearing Quasi-Judicial meeting, the subject matter and application number must be included in the preregistration request.
•In-person attendance/participation will be based upon the order in which the preregistration requests are received by the Town Clerk’s Office. For Public Hearing Quasi-Judicial meetings,precedence into the Commission Chambers will be given to applicants, their representatives and/or witnesses over all others preregistered parties. The Quasi-Judicial meeting participants will also be allowed in the Commission Chambers at the time of the hearing that is relevant to their applicant/client.
•The Zoom Video Communications is an option for those individuals who are interested in participating on the meeting online or via telephone.
Online or Telephone Access – Access to the meeting will begin on the date and time of the meeting.
•To Join Meeting: All interested persons must preregister to participate by contacting Town Clerk Lanelda Gaskins at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (561) 278-4548 no later than one (1) business day prior to the meeting date (e.g. by 4:30 P.M. on a Monday if the meeting is scheduled for that Tuesday; and by 4:30 P.M.).
Notice of Public Meeting Protocol
• Meeting access information and instructions will be provided to those persons two hours prior to the meeting.
• The video camera display feature will only be enabled for Public Hearing Quasi-Judicial matters and during public comments only. The video camera display feature will be disabled for public use.
For additional information on using Zoom, please visit Zoom Support by click on the following link: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us.
Viewing Only - To view the meeting, preregistration is not required. The public can view the meeting on the following:
• Highland Beach TV Channel 99 online streaming on the Town’s website and via Highland Beach YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTAGr8WCa44Y3Q2Bb6UN2mw.
PROVIDING PUBLIC COMMENT:
Persons desiring to provide public comments must do so by one of the methods listed below. Public comments will be limited to five minutes per person during the designated section of the agenda. If an interested person desires to provide written public comment, all comments must be directed to Lanelda Gaskins, Town Clerk as follows:
TO SEND COMMENTS IN ADVANCE VIA EMAIL:
• To submit public comments, click on the link https://mmportal6.teammunicode.com// to go to the Agendas and Meeting webpage. At the top of the page click on “Public Comments” to submit your comments, or
• Submit your comments to email@example.com.
• The Town will receive such public comments no later than two (2) hours prior to the meeting. If timely received, Town staff will read the public comment at the meeting.
• Live Zoom Video Participation - If attending via Zoom online, please follow Zoom instructions above. Once the meeting gets to the applicable public comment period, the host of the meeting will allow public participants (audio only) into the meeting from the waiting room, to provide live public comment.
• Live Zoom Telephone Participation - If attending via Zoom by telephone, please follow the instructions above. Once the meeting gets to the appropriate public comment period, the host of the meeting will allow public participants into the meeting from the waiting room, to provide live public comment.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Town Clerk’s Office at (561) 278-4548.
Setting Up and Using Zoom
Town of Highland Beach participants are encouraged to set up a new account in Zoom to productively participate in all Town meetings. Below are instructions on how to set up an account as well as join a Zoom meeting.
Zoom is a web-based virtual meeting platform that allows the Town Commission, Staff, and public to attend in a virtual environment.
Zoom may be used with the following web browsers:
- Microsoft Edge 38.14393. 0.0 or higher
- Google Chrome 53.0. 2785 or higher
- Safari 10.0. 602.1. 50 or higher
- Firefox 49.0 or higher
You can use your personal computer, cell phone or iPad to use Zoom. If you use your computer, it must have a webcam (for video access), a built-in microphone and speaker (audio) or you can use a headset.
Creating Your Own Zoom Account
To sign up for your free account, visit www.zoom.us/signup and enter your email address. You will receive an email from Zoom (firstname.lastname@example.org). (If you do not receive it in your inbox, check your junk/spam folder). In this email, click "Activate Account". Your account will now be able to be used.
Please make sure you have the audio and video/webcam enabled on your computer, and that your speaker is not muted. You should see this icon on the bottom right of your screen.
Joining a Zoom Meeting from an Email or Calendar Invite
When you receive a calendar invite, you can be admitted into the Zoom meeting using one of the following options:
- You can click Join Zoom Meeting and the link will take you to the meeting;
- You can click the website link and link will take you to the meeting;
Joining A Zoom Meeting from Your Internet Browser
You can also open your internet browser (i.e. lnternet Explorer, Google Chrome, Safari, etc.).
Visit the website www.zoom.us/join and enter the Meeting ID identified within your meeting appointment, then click "Join." You will be then be prompted for a password. Enter the password (case sensitive) and you will then be admitted to the meeting.
Once in a meeting, you will see several settings on the bottom of your screen in a black bar. If you do not see those settings, move your mouse around to activate them.
From there, you can mute or un-mute yourself and show or hide your video. (See the red box in the image to your right). You can also click the “Participants” icon and that will show you who else is in the meeting.
- Please be sure to attend the meeting in a quiet location, free from distractions and mute your phone or microphone to ensure other speakers are heard clearly.
- Please avoid eating, answering emails or text messages, or having conversations with others in the room.
- If you must tend to another matter, simply leave the meeting and rejoin later rather than placing the call on mute.
- Once the meeting is over, you can select “Leave Meeting” on the right-hand side of the screen.