- Always wear a helmet.
- Always obey traffic laws, road signs, and traffic lights.
- Ride in a straight line with traffic, never against it.
- Walk your bicycle across busy or major streets.
- Pass on the left side of vehicles.
- Use hand signals for turning and stopping.
- Watch for cars pulling out of driveways and cars turning in front of you.
- Watch for opening doors when riding alongside parked cars.
- Go slow on sidewalks, yielding to walkers and joggers.
- Pass to the left of a person by slowing up and giving a warning such as "Passing on your left."
- Never carry others on the seat or handlebars.
- Wear bright colored clothing with reflective strips, particularly at night.
Roller Blades and Skateboards:
- Always wear safety gear a helmet, wrist guards, and elbow and knee pads.
- Never ride in the street. Do not skate in crowds of non-skaters, such as on busy sidewalks.
- Always yield to walkers and joggers.
- Pass to the left of a person and give a warning such as "Passing on your left."
- Never hitch a ride from any vehicle.
For additional information on safety please feel free to contact the Highland Beach Police Department at: 561-266-5800.